The GOODS from Toptable Group
Vancouver, BC | We are currently hiring for a Pastry Chef. A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar position is required. Knowledge of bread-making, fine pastry, cake making and individual dessert plating is a must. The ideal candidate is team oriented, a motivator and teacher, energetic and has a passion for the world of pastries. The ideal candidate is also a team leader who works well under pressure in a dynamic and fast paced environment. He or she will have the opportunity work with exceptional products and equipment. If you are recognized for being a team-oriented, motivated, energetic and organized individual, we invite you to apply.
Applicants must have Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status, CIS, or a valid work permit.
The Pastry Chef position will curate, develop, oversee and manage the opening pastry program for Toptable Group’s newest steakhouse restaurant in Yaletown. The Pastry Chef will work with the Executive Chef and support this role in creating and delivering a unique and elevated guest dining experience in harmony with the kitchen’s overall vision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(other duties may be assigned as required)
– Helps to oversee the day-to-day operations
– Maintains exceptional cleanliness and maintains equipment to optimal specifications
– Designs creative and elevated pastries, desserts and breads
– Passionate about and possess great background knowledge of bread making as well as classic baking techniques and procedures
– Leads by example
– Maximizes resources and inventories by managing cost, maintaining and monitoring inventory and budget to ensure the best use of inventory and allocation of expenses
– Develops a strong rapport with agents and suppliers
– Under the direction of the Executive Chef, initiates and executes special projects as required
– Serves as an educator, as well as an inspirational, committed and responsible leader to the restaurant’s pastry team
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
– 3+ years of experience leading a pastry driven operation is required
– Experience working in and managing a restaurant pastry department with a capacity exceeding 150 seats
– Experience curating and managing inventory with both fiscal responsibility and award garnering intentions
– Experience managing inventory – good knowledge of food cost and analysis
– Strong verbal and written English communication skills
– Superior conflict resolution skills, with the ability to relate professionally to all levels of staff, management, clientele, suppliers, and partners
– Excellent planning, organizational and problem solving skills
– Ability to handle conflicting deadlines and prioritize multiple tasks
– Comfortable with dealing with media, public speaking, and VIP guests
– Knowledge of and ability to execute classical and traditional pastry technique
– Knowledge and experience of bread making
– Experience in menu compilation and the ability to collaborate on menu development
– An ingredient driven approach to menu writing
– An awareness and active interest in food trends and contemporary developments within pastry
– Ability to lead, train and motivate junior members of staff
– A strong work ethic and commitment to a premium level of quality
To apply, please visit http://toptable.ca/careers/pastry-chef-yaletown-steakhouse/. We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that we will only be able to respond to those selected for an interview.