littlenest

Remember when we posted about Commercial Drive’s awesome Little Nest being forced to shutter at the end of July after their really awesome landlord raised the rent by an fuck you 50%? Well, since D-Day was approaching, we contacted the kid friendly restaurant’s owner, Mary MacIntyre, to get an update on what’s happening. Is Little Nest gone for good? “I actually have some good news,” she says. “We are staying open a little longer.” Why? “I was really encouraged by the overwhelming level of support and so I’ve decided to look for another venue.” And what happens next? ”I will keep the doors open as long as I can until we find a place to move. I am still paying the new rent month to month so I do need to leave our current location as soon as I can.” Our selfish vote is for the DTES or Strathcona proper, but we’ll take it wherever it lands.

ALL ANTICIPATED OPENINGS

20 Responses to “DINER: Buoyed By Public Support, “Little Nest” Owner Is Hoping To Open Elsewhere”

1. kp on July 18th, 2013 2:55 pm

oooh China town please Mary!!! xoxo

2. 1Buser on July 18th, 2013 3:24 pm

The Renfrew Heights through to North Burnaby/Boundary has lots of kids!! More spacious cafe fronts too!!
    Strathcona is being glutted with delish baked goods and dinerish food already.

3. Rick on July 18th, 2013 5:16 pm

I have to agree with Chinatown / Strathcona.
    It really is a great emerging neighbourhood!

They would fit right in!
    And it wouldn’t be too far from the old location either. Possibly even walking distance.

4. Antonio on July 19th, 2013 9:51 am

Cedar Cottage! Strollers everywhere!

5. Jane on July 19th, 2013 2:35 pm

Come to Fraser St., lots of young families, and lots of available spaces.

6. sw on July 19th, 2013 4:35 pm

Oh this is wonderful news, a huge thank you and fingers crossed for Mary to find an even better space. I know that she started Little Nest wanting to be close to her children so hopefully she’ll be able to find a great spot close by which will work great for her. I do hope she will stay in East Vancouver (please please!) – so many great emerging neighbourhoods that would fit perfectly. Perhaps something even more amazing will come!

7. jLo on July 19th, 2013 4:56 pm

Hip hip hooray, this is the best news I’ve heard all day! I hope she stays on the Drive where she’s been loved a long time! If not, Sunrise-Hastings would also be rad!!

8. Jessica on July 19th, 2013 5:06 pm

Lynn Valley please. You’d love our great community and we’d love you!

9. Christine on July 19th, 2013 6:11 pm

Port Moody! Tons of young families – we need Little Nest here!

10. Prescilla on July 19th, 2013 8:17 pm

River district is really in need of a cool family friendly cafe! All we have is Romers. There are so many new young families in the area including myself. Great location by the Fraser river walking trail!

11. Jola on July 19th, 2013 8:52 pm

Definitely cedar cottage! Close to your current hood and needs more spaces like yours!

12. Martha Macintyre on July 19th, 2013 9:53 pm

Actually, back home in Australia, we were all hoping that she’d come home and open one here!

13. Dawn on July 19th, 2013 10:00 pm

Around Kingsway and Fraser is nice, Collage Collage and Wee Ones is there.
    Slocan and Hastings area is good too, some nice developments going up.
    I’m in Collingwood area and would love to have you close to me!

14. Michelle on July 20th, 2013 9:38 am

Second vote for Lynn Valley!!! We’d love to see you here!

(Ever thought of expanding to multiple locations?)

15. Naomi on July 20th, 2013 12:16 pm

New west is awesome!

16. Stephen on July 20th, 2013 1:18 pm

Too exciting!!

17. Jessica Wollen on July 20th, 2013 2:56 pm

Great to hear that Little Nest will be strong elsewhere. All the best. Can’t wait for another BLAT – Yum.
    Thanks for the community you have helped to create for many of us.
    Come and check out the Parents of the Drive Picnic in the Park: http://potdpicnic.eventbrite.com/
    Thanks,
    Jessy – Shift-Education.com, https://www.facebook.com/ShiftEdu
    Cultivating Healthy Communities

18. 1Buser on July 20th, 2013 5:53 pm

Yes, I agree as well that New West is also quite suitable, particularly the (lower) Sapperton area with lots of strollers.
    I’m still voting for Renfrew Heights – North Burnaby/Boundary though. It makes sense. So, we’re voting now! LOL.

19. Kelli on July 26th, 2013 10:31 pm

Come to Fraser Street, lots of good locations currently available from 30th – Kingsway. Neighbourhood is slotted as the next ‘Main Street’.

20. JJ on August 4th, 2013 9:52 pm