The GOODS from The Lazy Gourmet
Vancouver, BC | The Lazy Gourmet’s Executive Chef Jenny Hui shares a delightfully straight-forward, easy to execute beet salad recipe:
Mixed Greens with Pickled and Roasted Beets, Toasted Hazelnuts and Balsamic Vinaigrette
Yield 6 servings
12 cups Mixed Greens
1.5 cups Toasted Crushed Hazelnuts
3 medium Red Beets
1 recipe Pickled Beets (see recipe)
1 recipe Balsamic Vinaigrette (see recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Wash red beets. Wrap with foil.
3. Place on baking tray and bake in oven for about 50-60mins or until soft when pierced with a skewer.
4. Remove and cool.
5. Peel off skin. Cut into wedges. Set aside.
6. In a salad bowl, toss mixed greens, hazelnuts, roasted red beets and pickled yellow beets.
Serve with Balsamic vinaigrette.
2 small yellow beets
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Using a mandolin, slice beets thinly. Set aside.
2. Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a sauté pan. Add sliced beets.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Pickle beets for about 7 to 10 minutes.
5. Remove off heat and cool.
6. Remove beets from vinegar and serve on salad.
Yield: 1 cup
1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
Place balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Serve.
(Tip: if you would like to keep the the dressing vegan, use maple syrup instead of honey.)
About The Lazy Gourmet | Founded in 1979 by Susan Mendelson, The Lazy Gourmet is one of Vancouver’s first catering companies. It specializes in truly contagious hospitality while showcasing the finest local ingredients and outstanding quality our region has to offer. Services encompass everything from morning baking, event planning, to fully produced sit down dinners for 800 and more. For more information about The Lazy Gourmet, please visit www.lazygourmet.ca.