The GOODS from Burrowing Owl Estate Winery
Oliver, BC | Burrowing Owl Estate Winery is pleased to announce that it has received Gold Certification from the international accreditation body Green Tourism. The Okanagan winery has long been committed to crafting world-class wines using sustainable viticultural practices as well as providing ongoing support for a program to re-establish its namesake, the endangered burrowing owl, in BC’s grasslands.
Founded in 1997, Green Tourism launched in the UK. The world’s largest and most credible sustainable tourism certification program, Green Tourism has certified over 2300 businesses in the UK, Ireland, Italy and Canada. It is the only 100% third-party verified sustainability program for tourism businesses in the world.
Burrowing Owl is the first Canadian winery to become Gold Certified by Green Tourism. The Gold Certification it received recognizes the winery’s adherence to the highest standards of environmental sustainability in all aspects of its operations, from vineyard to cellar to restaurant and Guest House. A few highlights of Burrowing Owl’s sustainable practices are noted below.
* The winery donates its $3 wine shop tasting fee to the Burrowing Owl Conservation Society’s captive release program.
* In 2007 the winery upgraded its irrigation system, including solar energized water probes that test the soil at root depth, thereby increasing its energy efficiency by a factor of 2 and conserving water.
* The vineyard has an Integrated Pest Management policy that uses friendly insects and birds to keep damaging insects under control. There are more than 100 on-site bluebird boxes and bat nursery boxes, and the nests of ground-nesting birds are protected by barriers in springtime.
* The winery’s production and storage facilities were built on a steeply sloping hillside, a design which substantially reduced the building footprint and allows the winemaking process to use gravity to move the wine through the various stages from top to bottom.
* The underground cellars provide natural cooling during the summer and warmth during the winter, saving energy.
* The Sonora Room Restaurant sources as many ingredients as possible from local suppliers and farms, reducing carbon emissions related to transportation and helping support the local economy.
* At the Guest House, the HVAC system and a portion of the hot water are generated by an extensive ground-sourced geothermal system.
The People Who Make It Happen
Jim Wyse, Founder & Proprietor
Chris Wyse, President
Kerri Wyse-McNolty, Marketing Director
Tom DiBello, Winemaker
Lee Humphries, Director of Culinary Operations
Damian Mischkinis, Chef de Cuisine, The Sonora Room Restaurant
Dave Keeler, Operator, The Sonora Room Restaurant
Lynn Coulthard, Manager, The Sonora Room Restaurant
About Burrowing Owl Estate Winery
Located near the north end of Osoyoos Lake in BC’s fabled Okanagan Valley, Burrowing Owl Estate Winery is devoted to crafting world-class wines in an environmentally-sustainable manner. Founder Jim Wyse has always had a strong commitment to striving for balance in all things, and this philosophy infuses everything that’s done at Burrowing Owl, from viticulture to winemaking. In the vineyard, the natural balance is maintained by recruiting bluebirds and bats to help control harmful insects; at the winemaking facilities, state-of-the-art technology is employed along with traditional winemaking methods. Remarkable for its strikingly beautiful setting as well as its environmental leadership, the winery has become a destination for wine lovers around the globe: every year Burrowing Owl welcomes over 100,000 visitors at its Wine Shop, Sonora Room Restaurant, and Guest House. Burrowing Owl’s success has also benefited our feathered friends, as the winery supports conservation work that is helping its namesake, the endangered burrowing owl, make a comeback in British Columbia.
The Sonora Room Restaurant
Burrowing Owl’s Sonora Room restaurant showcases the best of the Okanagan in both food and wine. We serve creative Pacific Northwest cuisine featuring local ingredients and products, including fresh fruit and vegetables and artisanal breads and cheeses. Sonora Room staff are always happy to recommend the perfect pairing from our exclusive wine list, which includes Burrowing Owl library wines no longer available for public sale. Feast your eyes on spectacular views of the Burrowing Owl vineyards as you enjoy lunch or dinner in our warm, inviting dining room or on our patio. The Sonora Room is open daily throughout the season; reservations are recommended.
The Burrowing Owl Guest House
Offering stunning views of the Burrowing Owl vineyards, our Guest House features ten spacious south-facing rooms, each with a fireplace and private deck. Amenities include an outdoor pool, an all-season hot tub, and our Fireside Lounge. We also offer Wine Country breakfasts and in-room spa treatments. Those wishing to combine business with pleasure will find our Board Room and AV presentation facilities ideal for corporate retreats.