Dig food and have some spare time? The amazing folks at Growing Chefs! are gearing up for 2014 and they are looking for volunteers for their Classroom Gardening and Cooking Programs this Spring. If you would like to get involved and help teach local kids about healthy food and healthy food systems, do this city’s future generations a solid by looking at the supplied information below…
If you are interested in volunteering and have never volunteered with us before, you can fill out your application here. Or, if you are a returning volunteer, please fill out this online registration form.
We need to confirm our volunteers to determine how many schools are able to participate. We have a long list of teachers hoping to take part, so please let us know ASAP! It’s only about four hours of volunteering a month.
This year, your first Growing Chefs! class will be the week of March 31st. From then on, you will visit your classroom every second week until the end of June, for a total of seven visits. Your volunteering time totals approximately 4 hours a month (not including travel time or the initial orientation session). You definitely can find time for that!
How It Works
– Volunteer chefs and community members are put into teams of three.
– You will attend a Volunteer Orientation Session, where you learn basic classroom management skills and review the Growing Chefs! curriculum.
– You and your team are paired with an elementary school classroom.
– You visit your class every two weeks over the course of three and a half months, for a total of seven visits.
– As you mentor the students and help them to grow their own indoor vegetable gardens, you lead the class through a series of lessons.
– The lessons are clearly laid out and outlined in the Growing Chefs! Classroom Guide that you receive at your Orientation Session.
For more information on our program, feel free to visit our website here. If you know anyone who might be interested in the program this year, please forward this email, or print it out and post it at your place of work! Most of our volunteers come to us on a referral basis, so if you aren’t able to participate this year, please pass it on to someone who can!
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at 778.885.1308 or admin [at] growingchefs.ca. Remember, please apply by Feb. 1st!
Honour Bound details the many cool things that we feel honour bound to check out because they either represent Vancouver exceptionally well or are inherently super awesome in one way or another.