Nathan Guggenheimer Up To Old Tricks With New Oyster Comp…
DB Bistro chef de cuisine Nathan Guggenheimer is a fun-loving shit disturber. His kitchen talents aside, it was he who dreamed up last year’s memorable Guggenheimer Dog Gobble (a truly terrifying hot dog eating contest for debaucherous restaurant industry staff). Now he’s got it in his head to host an oyster shucking showdown. A $10 entrance fee gets you in, a pint of Tree Brewing Co. beer, plus the loan of a chef’s towel and shucking knife. First place wins a wine-soaked dinner for two at sister restaurant Lumière. Second gets lunch for two at DB Bistro. Third scores winner a DB Bistro gift card. I presume fourth place receives only scorn and ridicule. They’re probably going to be sending out a press release with all the skinny, but we already have some of the awesome details – like the rules and what’s in store for spectators – after the leap. Read on, mothershuckers…
But first, watch the video from the last comp he put together…
Gnarly, right? Well now there’s knives involved…
Spectators and hungry passers-by can partake of an icy cold one (beer) for just $5, or indulge in one of Chef’s special $20 Burger & Beer Pairings. A la carte menu service will be offered to spectators should you be in the mood for something other than a burger…our B2B three-course prix fixe perhaps? Space is limited. Contact Chris Gonzalez, the General Manager, at 604.739.7115 (or email@example.com) to reserve your spot. You can either take part or cheer on your favourite shucker. Cheering sections welcome!
* Hands in the air before the bell.
* Shuck like your life depends on it.
* When oysters are shucked and presented on a tray of ice as per Daniel Boulud
tradition and, as directed by Chef de Cuisine Nathan Guggenheimer, raise your
hands in the air once again and step away from the tray.
* When all contestants are done shucking, the judges will examine each tray and
* Top three shuckers will be announced; top two will commence to the ‘shuck
* Baddest and best shuckers will be announced.
The Nitty Gritty (hopefully not in your oysters)
* Six points awarded for best time.
* Four points for second best time.
* Two points for third best time.
* Three points for cleanliness.
* Five points for best arrangement and presentation.
* Points will be deducted for shell fragments found in shucked oysters.
* Points WILL be deducted for poor sportsmanship and bad behaviour.
* Points MAY be added for good sportsmanship and proper oyster shucking attire.
* All shucked oysters must be clean and loose from shell.
* Cheaters subject to public embarrassment.