by Andrew Morrison | David Hawksworth, owner of Hawksworth restaurant in the Hotel Georgia and widely regarded as one of Canada’s top chefs, is opening a new restaurant in downtown Vancouver next year.
He recently secured a location in a new building and aims to take possession at the end of this summer. He hopes – with crossed fingers – to open for business six months later. It’s a big space, with 2,500 sqft dedicated to the kitchen and 3,500 sqft earmarked for the floor. The restaurant will offer seating for 120 people, with a long bar being the core focal point. The address is being kept a secret for the time being, and the name has yet to be set in stone. We will reveal both soon.
The concept is going to be considerably more relaxed than what David has delivered in the past. He likens the style of food to a vegetable-friendly and health conscious Southern Californian blend of Italian and Spanish cuisines with a strong emphasis on sharing. That sounds like a brave and delicious departure from the subtly expressed West Coast Canadiana that has won him so many accolades in the past, dating all the way back to his storied tenure at South Granville’s West.
It also sounds less expensive. Even though lunch at the Cactus Club costs roughly the same as at Hawksworth, there is a perception – on account of the latter’s fine dining credentials and awards – that the cost is prohibitive. David nevertheless confirms that prices at the new restaurant will reflect its casual atmosphere, but jokingly adds that “You’ll have the chance to spend your money if you want to.”
David is currently looking far and wide for a suitable Chef de Cuisine. Those who have interest and the requisite chops should take a look at his “help wanted” ad after the jump…
With a new project underway, we are actively looking for a Chef de Cuisine to join our growing team.
• Red seal certification (or equivalent)
• A minimum of four (4) years of experience in a senior kitchen management position
• Fine dining experience; must obtain a strong foundation of the classics with a flair for modern technique
• Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
• Highly organized and motivated individual who maintains composure under pressure as well as an unparalleled sense of leadership
• Able to create, manage, maintain and execute an extremely high quality food product on a daily basis
• Ability to effectively cost menus, track inventory, maintain & raise profit margins
What we offer:
• Competitive salary based on experience
• Extended medical and dental (after probationary term)
Resumes with cover letters can be sent to ta [at] hawksworthrestaurant.com