The GOODS from Notturno
Vancouver, BC | “Fare la scarpetta” or “to do the small shoe” is an awesome Italian saying that basically means taking a small piece of bread and mopping up any leftover sauce on your plate. Okay, so the translation may not be the best (small shoe?) – but we guarantee the rich tomato sauce with our braised pork ribs and scarpetta will have you licking the plate clean. And to top it all off, try it with the only Compliment you’ll need – a July cocktail feature with Akavit, gin, and Maraschino. Get a full read of the menu after the jump…
• Braised short cut pork side ribs in a rich tomato sauce, extra virgin olive oil, scarpetta
• Warm Castelvetrano olives, cracked chili, extra virgin olive oil, Maldon salt
• Marinated local white anchovies, summer sweet peas, extra virgin olive oil and basil crisp, sea water caviar
• House made burrata with basil, ‘Nduja, pane bello
• Giganti pasta stuffed with ricotta and wild asparagus, carbonara sauce, summer peas, shallots, prosciutto crisp
• Beef carpaccio, garlic puree, capers, Marsala braised onions, carta di musica
• Local sardines cured with smoked salt, black olive whipped ricotta
• Local octopus, fingerling potatoes, olives, oregano, brown butter
• Burrata with compressed watermelon and zucchini salad, Cinzano vinaigrette, cracked pepper, Maldon salt
• Local Salumi and Italian cheese board
• Feature pasta (ask server for details)
• Olive oil cake with olive oil pudding and liquid orange gel
• Felice – Lemon and coffee bean infused grappa, Cinzano Rosso vermouth, red wine reduction and white truffle syrup, Aphrodite bitters
• Compliment – Akvavit, gin, maraschino
• Last Flight – Ramazotti, bourbon, Strega, lemon
• Summer Smile – White wine, Zubrowka, Meyer lemon bitters, pineapple juice, honey and strawberry daiquiri syrup, strawberry pearls
• Chilean Breakfast – Pisco, basil, lemon, vanilla peanut butter syrup, egg whites
• First fill: Negroni, Second fill: White Negroni – Beefeater gin, Martini Bianco, Suze (ready July 2)
• Felice – Lemon and coffee bean infused grappa, Cinzano Rosso vermouth, red wine reduction and white truffle syrup, Aphrodite bitters (ready July 2)
• Boulevardier – Bourbon, Campari, Cinzano Rosso vermouth (ready July 2)
• First fill: Brooklyn, Second fill: Oxidized Brooklyn – American rye, Amer Picon, Maraschino and oxidized dry vermouth (ready July 15)
• First fill: Old Pal, Second fill: Braziliana – Cachaca, bittersweet vermouth, dry Curacao and Aperol (ready July 15)
• First fill: Manhattan, Second fill: A Pristine Moment – Pisco, Cocchi Americano, Byrrh, Campari, Spanish bitters (ready July 15)
280 Carrall Street | Vancouver, BC
Telephone: 604-720-3145 | Email: info [at] notturnogastown.ca
Web: www.notturnogastown.ca | Twitter: @notturnogastown
Hours: Open Tuesday to Saturday: 6 p.m. to late | No reservations
Chef/Co-owner – William Robitaille
Bartender – H
Co-owner – Scott McTavish
Wine Consultant – Chris Royal
A Gastown Italian bàcari with an ever-changing selection of cicchetti share plates, craft cocktails, wines by the glass and BC-brewed craft beers, Notturno has something for everyone.
Chef and co-owner William Robitaille has designed Italian-inspired fare with a focus on seasonal, market-fresh products. Industry trained in the West Coast style with Italian and Spanish influences, Robitaille has worked in some of the finest restaurants in Vancouver and Whistler where he developed new and exciting menus. Wine consultant Chris Royal has curated a wine program that expertly complements the food menu.
Known around the world simply as “H”, Notturno’s craft cocktail maker and Vancouver Magazine’s Bartender of the Year for 2013, designed our signature cocktail Gli Felice. This along with H’s five monthly creations is sure to please every taste. Like our menu, our space delivers an eclectic combination of historic and modern.
The new look by Andrea Rodman Interiors is designed to combine the rustic look synonymous with the surrounding Gastown neighbourhood and modern detailing. Master woodworkers Josh Hooge and Steve McFarlane of J&S Reclaimed Wood Custom Furniture have created a new feature wall and bar counter.
Eater Magazine – Vancouver Heat Map | This tiny bar and restaurant tucked away on Carrall has cocktail fans thoroughly over-excited thanks to bartender H’s creative concoctions – impressively, William Robitaille’s Italian tapas even delighted notoriously hard-to-please Globe & Mail critic Alexandra Gill.
Alexandra Gill, Globe and Mail | Notturno’s signature Gli Felice is, as advertised, “a taste of Tuscany in a glass.” I happily say to you that of all the tiny tapas-style wine bars in Gastown, Notturno hits higher than most.
Vancouver Magazine | Don’t miss chef’s succulent Venetian ling cod, which is poached and whipped with olive oil while warm, then served with salty pops of steelhead roe […] “H” (Vancouver magazine’s 2013 Bartender of the Year) mixes exacting craft cocktails with bitter-predominant Italian flair.