The GOODS from Salt Spring Wild Cider
Salt Spring Island, BC | Salt Spring Wild Cider is looking for a full-time Assistant Cider Maker. We make thoughtful cider using only organic apples here on our 5 acre farm on Salt Spring.
The successful candidate will look forward to doing the following duties:
– Picking, pressing and fermenting apples/pears from some 150 properties all over Salt Spring during harvest season
– Pressing other fruits and imbuing different ingredients as needed
– Pitching yeast, or following wild fermentation techniques as implemented by the lead cider makers, year-round
– Managing ferments, racking tanks, aging, barrel aging.
– Innovation in the cidery
– Following high standards of sanitation in all areas of the cidery: CIP of bright tanks, bottlers, pumps, IBC’s, keg washer/fillers, floors, floor drains, etc.
– Work safely with various chemicals that are used for cleaning/sanitizing
– Work safely around C02 tanks
– Bottling and pasteurizing ciders
– Communicating with lead cider makers and other staff
– Giving tours as needed
– Managing inventories as needed
– Operate forklifts and power jack
– Must be able to work some weekends (and possible evenings) as needed
We’re looking for someone with the following experience and interests:
– Previous fermentation experience in a professional environment
– Experience using forklifts and power jacks
– Experience with CIP for bright/fermentation tanks and established/proven sanitation techniques/skills
– Love and passion for making cider
– Experience keg filling/washing is an asset
– Comfort around C02 tanks- connecting/disconnecting, storing, etc.
– Be physically fit with the ability to lift 50 lbs regularly
– Efficient, practical, trustworthy and safety conscious
– Interest in innovation
– Ability to work with limited or no supervision and carry on with high standards
– Interest in working as part of a great team in a friendly, laid back environment
– Ability to keep up with SSW quotas for bottling and fermentation
– Valid Driver’s Licence
– Must have or attain year-round accommodation on Salt Spring Island
We offer very competitive pay and a fantastic opportunity to grow and learn on a beautiful island while making some of BC’s tastiest ciders. Please write to Gerda & Mike at wild [at] saltspringwildcider.com with a cover letter and resume. Only interested candidates will be contacted for an interview. (Temporary accommodation may be provided for the right off-island person).