The GOODS from East Van Roasters
Vancouver, BC | East Van Roasters (319 Carrall St., Vancouver) is releasing its 2019 holiday collection of crafted artisanal chocolate, coffee and confections, plus locally made gifts that provide comfort to more than just the recipient.
East Van Roasters is a fully registered charity and social enterprise operated by the PHS Community Services Society, so shoppers can feel good knowing their purchases are providing meaningful employment to women living in the Downtown Eastside who are facing challenges and barriers in their lives.
East Van Roasters shoppers can relax over a hot chocolate or coffee and drink in the charm of the chocolate-making and coffee-roasting process. Witness the roasters, makers and chocolatiers at work while they winnow and roast single origin cacao beans, and refine small batches of chocolate into bars and confections.
The 2019 collection includes seasonal single-origin and award-winning chocolate bars and truffles, signature fresh bars, holiday confection and vegan chocolate boxes and stone-ground hot chocolate mix, plus small organic chocolate-coated treats, bagged caramel and toffee treats and East Van Roasters branded totes, hoodies and toques.
Holiday Trilogy ($22 three-pack or $8 each)
Seasonal chocolate bars, available individually or as a package of three.
• Gingerbread toffee: crunchy butter toffee in 70 per cent Peruvian chocolate with warm gingerbread spices.
• Fruit & Nut: 70 per cent Madagascan chocolate with cranberry and hazelnut.
• Mint Crackle: peppermint-infused 70 per cent Peruvian chocolate and chocolate cookie pieces.
Holiday Truffles ($2-$2.50 each)
Three seasonal flavours available individually.
• Bird Nest: Venezuelan white chocolate and walnut cookie butter with cassis pâte de fruit.
• Cardi C: cardamom- and coffee-infused ganache and crunchy wafer (2019 International Chocolate Awards Canadian Chocolatier Competition silver winner and World Final bronze winner).
• Caramel hazelnut: almond and hazelnut butter layered with salted caramel (2019 International Chocolate Awards Canadian Chocolatier Competition gold winner).
Seasonal Fresh Bars ($17 three-pack)
Three seasonal fresh bars all boxed up.
• Holiday Spice: 70 per cent Tanzanian chocolate with Gathering Place organic mulling spices and crystalized ginger.
• Sparkle: 70 per cent Madagascan chocolate with candied fennel, pink peppercorn and dried cranberries.
• Golden Orange: vegan white chocolate with tumeric, toasted coconut, black pepper and candied blood orange.
Eight-Piece Holiday Sampler Box ($20)
A sampling of confections that includes: one chocolate caramel; one Peru single origin truffle; one Mayan-spiced truffle; three seasonal truffles; one ginger mendiant; and one sour cherry, pistachio, almond mendiant.
16-Piece Holiday Sampler Box ($35)
A larger selection of truffles and confections that includes: two sour cherry, pistachio, almond mendiants; two ginger mendiants; two chocolate caramels; two Mayan-spiced truffles; six seasonal truffles; and two Peruvian single origin truffles.
Vegan Holiday Box ($20)
A special assortment of quality vegan treats that includes: two sour cherry, pistachio, almond mendiants; two ginger mendiants; one Sparkle bar and one Golden Orange bar.
Hot Chocolate Mix ($15 for 150 g)
European-style stone ground hot chocolate mix, made with 70 per cent Kallari, Equador chocolate, organic cacao butter and organic cane sugar. Just add hot milk.
The 2019 holiday collection is available now through Dec. 24 at East Van Roasters. Requests for the complete 2019 catalogue and large orders can be made by emailing email@example.com a minimum of one week prior to pickup. A selection of coffee, chocolate and other East Van Roasters treats is also available for purchase at the Vancouver Christmas Market at Jack Poole Plaza (at the Olympic Cauldron), Nov. 20–Dec. 24, 2019. Additional offerings of support to East Van Roasters and other social enterprises that help fund supportive housing and harm reduction initiatives operated by PHS can be made through canadahelps.org.
About East Van Roasters | East Van Roasters is a social enterprise operated by the PHS Community Services Society that roasts specialty coffee and makes bean-to-bar chocolate using single-origin, direct and fair trade beans. Situated in the historic Rainier Hotel at 319 Carrall St., East Van Roasters is a fully registered charity that employs women who have experienced challenges living in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, and who benefit from a flexible and supportive work environment where they learn to produce fine chocolate and coffee and baked goods. All proceeds go back to supporting the social enterprise and the work they do to remove barriers for women in the community.