The Goods from Hester Creek
Oliver, BC | Hester Creek Estate Winery is one of the oldest Estate Vineyards in the Okanagan Valley boasting the award-winning Tuscan inspired Terrafina Restaurant and The Villa at Hester Creek, a 6-room bed and breakfast style full-service accommodation. Hester Creek Estate Winery is also home of one of the most beautiful wine shops in the Okanagan Valley including an 80-seat patio, 14 seat demonstration kitchen and multiple event spaces.
Terrafina at Hester Creek is looking for a Chef de Cuisine to lead the daily operations of their culinary program. Working closely with the Director of Hospitality and with the FOH Manager, the Chef de Cuisine is accountable for the overall quality of all food and the work environment provided in the kitchen.
Terrafina is an all-day kitchen and the successful candidate need will to have a wide range of culinary expertise including brunch, lunch, dinner and baking as well as a passion for Italian cuisine. Sourcing locally and carefully balancing food and labor costs the Chef de Cuisine will build locally inspired seasonal menus.
In order to be successful in their application, the applicant must have or be able to:
– Manage BOH staff through training and most importantly by setting examples both personally and professionally
– Maintain established recipes as well as the ability to create new dishes and reworking Italian classics
– See that safety, cleanliness and sanitation standards are of the highest level of excellence
– Work closely with the staff ensuring that they can work any station
– Place daily and weekly orders for all food, supplies and equipment and proper storage, labelling or utilization of these products.
– Seeing that the highest level of quality is always maintained including presentation, consistency and flavors
– Develop and execute menus
– Be present and actively engage with the culinary staff for training and quality control
– Maintain a professional and cohesive team-oriented staff
– Communicate and provide details for various dishes with FOH for allergy issues, glutens and general knowledge of all dishes
– Set excellent customer service and work standards all the while demonstrating an exemplary work ethic
– Have aligned values – integrity, empathy, humility, optimism, inspiring
– Hires, trains, disciplines employees in accordance with Hester Creek and provincial labor regulations
– Scheduling of staff
– Cultivating relationships with vendors, farmers, and other wholesale food suppliers to ensure the highest quality
– Assist in preparation and execution of budgets
– Oversee food costing and inventories in conjunction with Director of Hospitality
– Address all repair and maintenance issues as they may arise
– Manage time efficiently and effectively
– Staff accordingly depending on seasonality. Seeing that labor costs are kept in check
– Have interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all contacts including front and back of house staff and customer relations
– Minimum 5 years in a position of overseeing and managing a culinary team.
– Red seal certification
– Food safe level 1 certification
– Must be able to lift 25 lbs. and up to 50 lbs., bending, moving intermittently
– Ability to work flexible hours including nights, weekends and holidays
– Possess a passion for the culinary arts
– Ability to stand for extended periods of time
– Able to work under pressure
– Ability to monitor physical inventory, including kitchen equipment, food items, and other supplies, and generating purchase orders as needed
– Demonstrated understanding of proper food storage and product rotation procedures to ensure freshness and quality
What Terrafina at Hester Creek offers:
– Competitive wage and benefits package after completion of 3-month introductory period
– Full-time year-round position
– Fun and positive working environment
– A strong commitment to excellence and forward growth
– Located on the beautiful Golden Mile Bench in Oliver British Columbia in the world-renowned Okanagan Valley
– A dedicated and supportive management team
– Wine incentives
– Fun staff events
Apply today: Email cover letter and resume to Roger Gillespie, Director of Hospitality, at roger.gillespie [at] hestercreek.com
At Hester Creek Estate Winery, our roots run deep. As one of the oldest wine properties in the South Okanagan, we are graced with historic vineyards and a modern winery. A pioneer on the Golden Mile Bench, our vineyard was first planted with classic varietals in 1968. Blending traditional, sustainable vineyard practices and innovative winemaking with a state of the art cellar, our wines reflect our celebrated terroir. A destination winery, Hester Creek offers a gracious wine country welcome to guests, with premium old vines wines, and unique True Wine Experiences. Our Mediterranean influenced setting offers customized tastings, scenic patios, summer barbeques, live music, farm-to-table cooking classes, luxury Tuscany styled villas, and Italian inspired dining at Terrafina at Hester Creek.