The GOODS from Notturno
Vancouver, BC | With fall right around the corner, we’re thinking – whiskey and sweater food. This month at Notturno, we’re mourning celebrating the arrival of fall with some new additions to our food menu, like the mortadella double down with taleggio, marsala onions and spicy ‘Nduja tomato sauce. Also new this month is beef sacchetto with smashed potatoes, chanterelle mushrooms, parsley, olive oil, white wine vinegar and cheese crema.
And speaking of whiskey, our new cocktail features this month are a mouthful – literally. Like the H original The Worobec with American rye whiskey, Mezcal, lemon juice, bacon and apple tart syrup, salt, apple foam, house made mature cheddar dusting and smoked hickory bacon vapour. Makes your morning coffee order look pretty simple, no?
Coming later this month, number eight in our Monthly Wine Dinner Series. On September 21, we’re heading to Rome. Menu details and pricing coming soon. Thanks to everyone who joined us for our celebration of B.C. on August 24. Hope you can join us this month for our ode to Roman street food.
– Pane Bello and Serego Alighieri extra virgin olive oil, maldon salt
– Warm Castelvetrano olives, extra virgin olive oil, cracked chili, maldon salt
– Mortadella double down, taleggio, Marsala onions and spicy ‘Nduja tomato sauce
– Beef sacchetto, smashed potatoes, chanterelle mushrooms, parsley, olive oil, white wine vinegar, cheese crema
– Smoked chicken and pork liver pate foie gras cap
– Woodland mushrooms, garlic, olive oil, egg yolk, maldon salt
– Local BC octopus, veal sweetbreads, farro polenta, shallots, mushroom stock, oregano brown butter
– Feature pasta (please ask for details)
– Burrata (choice of):
Straight up: Serego Alighieri extra virgin olive oil, maldon salt, cracked pepper
Lentils, mustard vinaigrette, beetroot fluid gel
Pomodoro sauce, crispy prosciutto
– Salumi and cheese board
– Felice – Grappa, lemon peel and coffee bean essence, Cinzano Rosso vermouth, red wine reduction syrup, Aphrodite bitters, white truffle and lemon oil garnish
– The Worobec – American rye whiskey, Mezcal, lemon juice, bacon and apple tart syrup, salt, apple foam, house made mature cheddar dusting, smoked hickory bacon vapor (Created H at Notturno)
– The Gladstone – American rye whiskey, Aquavit, maraschino, sugar, absinthe, Jamaican rum, Bokers bitters (Created by William Schmidt, NYC 1888)
– Bejesus – American rye whiskey, house made kiwi fruit and dill cordial, cardamom bitters, dehydrated kiwi, lemon oil (Created by Giancarlo at the Diamond, 2015)
– Royal Breakfast – House butter fat washed blend of scotch, dark rum and Madeira, alderwood smoked earl grey tea and marmalade syrup, lemon juice, egg whites, shaken with milk ice and scented with baked brioche vapor (Created by H at Notturno).
Notturno is located at 280 Carrall Street in Gastown. Regular hours are Tuesdays to Saturdays, 6 p.m. to late.
280 Carrall Street | Vancouver, BC
Telephone: 604-720-3145 | Email: info [at] notturnogastown.ca
Web: www.notturnogastown.ca | Twitter: @notturnogastown
Hours: Open Tuesday to Saturday: 6 p.m. to late | No reservations
Chef/Co-owner – William Robitaille
Bartender – H
Co-owner – Scott McTavish
A Gastown Italian bàcari with an ever-changing selection of cicchetti share plates, craft cocktails, wines by the glass and BC-brewed craft beers, Notturno has something for everyone.
Chef and co-owner William Robitaille has designed Italian-inspired fare with a focus on seasonal, market-fresh products. Industry trained in the West Coast style with Italian and Spanish influences, Robitaille has worked in some of the finest restaurants in Vancouver and Whistler where he developed new and exciting menus. Wine consultant Chris Royal has curated a wine program that expertly complements the food menu.
Known around the world simply as “H”, Notturno’s craft cocktail maker and Vancouver Magazine’s Bartender of the Year for 2013, designed our signature cocktail Gli Felice. This along with H’s five monthly creations is sure to please every taste. Like our menu, our space delivers an eclectic combination of historic and modern.
The new look by Andrea Rodman Interiors is designed to combine the rustic look synonymous with the surrounding Gastown neighbourhood and modern detailing. Master woodworkers Josh Hooge and Steve McFarlane of J&S Reclaimed Wood Custom Furniture have created a new feature wall and bar counter.
Eater Magazine – Vancouver Heat Map | This tiny bar and restaurant tucked away on Carrall has cocktail fans thoroughly over-excited thanks to bartender H’s creative concoctions – impressively, William Robitaille’s Italian tapas even delighted notoriously hard-to-please Globe & Mail critic Alexandra Gill.
Alexandra Gill, Globe and Mail | Notturno’s signature Gli Felice is, as advertised, “a taste of Tuscany in a glass.” I happily say to you that of all the tiny tapas-style wine bars in Gastown, Notturno hits higher than most.
Vancouver Magazine | Don’t miss chef’s succulent Venetian ling cod, which is poached and whipped with olive oil while warm, then served with salty pops of steelhead roe […] “H” (Vancouver magazine’s 2013 Bartender of the Year) mixes exacting craft cocktails with bitter-predominant Italian flair.