The GOODS from Big Lou’s
Vancouver, BC | When we were younger, the holiday season was all about presents, but the older we get, the more we discover that its true pleasure is time shared in seasonal feasting and drinking with family, friends and work colleagues. Big Lou’s Butcher Shop is working closely with local farms and suppliers to offer a wide range of delicious, locally-sourced catered and cook-at-home options for every kind of holiday feasting–from work events and parties all the way to the traditional Christmas dinner.
Big Lou’s party platters are a great choice for get-togethers and can be ordered with as little as 24 hours notice. The options include charcuterie, smoked seafood, local cheese and meats from Qualicum Beach and slider platters. Big Lou’s is also able to provide platters of our famous sandwiches for work lunches and parties.
There are many ways to interpret the Christmas dinner and Big Lou’s has them all covered with local, unmedicated turkeys, hams, and geese for classic feasts and a full take-home Turkey Dinner with sides, Big Lou’s offer two sizes of Turducken for Christmas, Southern-style. A wide range of housemade Big Lou’s holiday trimmings like turkey gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing or sausage stuffing will help round out any holiday feast.
Big Lou’s full Holiday Menu is included below and can be found online here. If you have questions regarding your Christmas needs, call (604) 566-9229 or email info [at] biglousbutchershop.com to consult with someone from the Big Lou’s team. Big Lou’s Butcher Shop is located at 269 Powell St. and has delivery options for orders big and small.
Big Lou’s 2013 Holiday Menu
Roasts and Pies
• Turducken Roast – 4lb and 8lb boneless $12.99/lb (Turkey Breast stuffed with Turducken Sausage)
• Turduckens — 14-20lb $14.75/lb (whole bird wing and leg bones in)
Rossdown Farms Turkey and Chicken, Yarrow Meadows Duck, and Fraser Valley Pork Sausage.
• Stuffed Boneless Turkey Breast Roasts $11.99/lb
• Bone-in Fraser Valley Hams $6.99/lb
• Rossdown Turkeys $4.85 /lb (fresh, free run, unmedicated)
• Fresh Fraser Valley Geese $7.29lb
• Big Lou’s 9” Tortiere Smoked and shredded pork with bacon, mushroom, and caramelized onion, hand made crust @14 each
• Big Lou’s Whole Turkey Dinner: 15 lb Free Run Rossdown farms turkey (Oven Ready), mashed potatoes, Italian sausage stuffing, gravy, housemade cranberry sauce, garlic brussel sprouts, roasted vegetables, and a pumpkin pie from Cadeaux Bakery — $180
• Provençal Platter: Pâté. Rilletes, Smoked Salmon, Brie, Dijon, Baguette & more
10-12 ppl 85$+gst / 20 ppl 150$+gst
• Smoked Seafood Platter Salmon, Albacore, Rainbow Trout, Oysters, baguette, Dijon etc
8-10 ppl 85$+gst / 20 ppl 150$+gst
• Big Italian Platter: Our Italian meatloaf w/Sunday Gravy & Grana Padano on ciabatta slider buns
20-29 Sliders 2$ ea +gst / 30 Sliders 55$ + gst / 60 Sliders 100$ + gst
• Charcuterie Lover’s Platter: prosciutto, sopresetta, fennel salami, saucisson sec, house pickled green beans, onions, Dijon mustard, and sliced baguette
10-12 ppl $85+gst / 20 ppl $150+gst
• Qualicum Beach Platter: meats & cheeses from Qualicum Beach: Brie, Tipsy Jill. Slopresetta. salami, accompaniments andmixed crackers
8-10 ppl $85+gst / 20 ppl $150+ gst
• Custom Slider Platter Mix and Match slider versions of our sandwiches
$2.50+gst ea, min 20 sliders
About Big Lou’s Butcher Shop
Located in a bright heritage storefront at the corner of Gore and Powell Streets, Big Lou’s Butcher Shop has brought traditional European boucherie-inspired butchery and preparation to Vancouver’s East side culinary community and residents. Big Lou’s combines a retail butcher operation, a New York-style deli sandwich counter, boucherie-based catering services, butchery classes and a unique event and dining space into one place.
In a tribute to old world butcher shops, Big Lou’s Butcher Shop supplies a diverse selection of meats from award-winning local suppliers like Polderside, Pemberton Meadows, Sloping Hills and Two Rivers along with seasonal game and imports. The shop is hands-on, with a focus on head-to-tail butchery and in-house handmade products like sausage, charcuterie, stocks and sauces–all made as much as possible using our own home-grown herbs. The guiding principle throughout is to have all processing done in house under the watchful eye of our team. To serve the full spectrum local residents, Big Lou’s Butcher Shop also stocks a selection of certified meats and poultry alongside the small farm choices to offer the widest range of price points to customers.
Big Lou’s Butcher Shop is in the traditional butcher shop style with an in-house cutting area, large display case and expert staff crisply-dressed in traditional oxford shirts and aprons. Along with meats, the product offering also includes an ever-changing menu of house made fresh sausages, charcuterie, pates, stocks, gravies, demi-glaces, and other dressings and ingredients. The focus on rubs, marinades and grilling accompaniments makes Big Lou’s the one stop for expert advice and quality ingredients before any BBQ.
The sandwich counter is dedicated to true deli-style sandwiches built around traditional cooked, cured and smoked meats. All the sandwiches are built around great flavours built into fresh breads and detailed authentic recipes. Reflecting the diversity of the City, sandwich favourites include the Banh Mi and Bulgogi Chicken alongside classics like in-house made Pastrami, Porchetta, Roast Beef and Meatball.
Big Lou’s Butcher Shop also offers catering and butchery classes The catering is based on the deli menu and also includes with a range of custom menu options and special requests. Big Lou’s is also available for event including reception style or seated dinners in the great naturally-lit, character shop space. The market-driven menus will emphasize rustic French and Italian tastes and focus on integrating fresh, sustainable Pacific Northwest ingredients into those two great food cultures. Butchery classes span sausage-making and basic butchery to whole carcass work and game butchery.
Butchery is again at the forefront of food culture in Vancouver and Big Lou’s has been a leader in reintroducing traditional, artisanal butchery skills to Vancouver’s vibrant food scene.