The GOODS from Campagnolo
Vancouver, BC | Campagnolo Restaurant turns 5 years old on Thursday, December 5. To honour the birthday, Campagnolo will be giving away free Crispy Ceci to all tables of 2 or more to complement their order. In 5 years, the Main Street restaurant has sold enough Crispy Ceci to stretch over 40km. That is enough to go around the seawall twice, line the Sun Run 4 times and to reach Crescent Beach from 1020 Main Street. Can’t make it in on Thursday? Don’t worry. You can celebrate at home with our recipe for Crispy Ceci, which you will find after the jump. From our kitchen to yours, grazie…
Crispy Ceci Recipe
1½c dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in water
2c baby arugula
1c baby spinach
¼c fresh mint, torn into small pieces
2 scallions, sliced thin on a bias
¼c Italian parsley, leaves sliced thin
1½tsp chili flakes
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6c canola oil
– Take the soaked chickpeas and cook them in fresh water until very tender. Season with salt at the end of the cooking process. The cooking time (45 to 60 minutes) will vary according to the age of the chickpeas. Once cooked, they can be kept in the fridge for up to two days.
– In a pot that can hold at least 12c (the more the better) bring the canola oil to a temperature of 375F. Drain the chickpeas, dry them on paper towels and then slowly pour them into the hot oil.
– While they are cooking, add to a large bowl the arugula, spinach, scallion, mint and parsley. After about four minutes of frying, remove the chickpeas and drain well. While they are still very hot, add them to the bowl of greens.
– Season everything with salt, chilies, lemon zest, juice and, finally, the extra virgin olive oil.
– Toss very well and check for seasoning. Add more of anything you like, divide among six warm bowls and serve.
1020 Main St, Vancouver, BC V6A 2W1 | MAP
Web: www.campagnolorestaurant.ca | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
Campagnolo is open seven days a week serving dinner starting at 5pm and lunch from 11:30am – 2:30pm with brunch offered on the weekends. Seating is available on a first come, first served basis with reservations only taken for parties of eight or more dining with one of Campagnolo’s alla famiglia group menus.
Chef de Cuisine | Nathan Lowey
Restaurant Manager | Colin Turley
Director of Operations & Proprietor | Tim Pittman
Proprietor | Robert Belcham
Proprietor | Tom Doughty
Campagnolo serves rustic Italian dishes inspired by the Piedmont and Emilia Romagna regions of Italy, and made with integrity from locally sourced seasonal ingredients. The dining room buzzes with engaging energy while the wine lounge offers a cozy and intimate haven. Campagnolo was named one of the hottest new restaurants in the world by Condé Nast Traveler and is consistently recognized at the annual Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards. Located only five minutes from Rogers Arena, Campagnolo is just steps from major corridors into Vancouver’s downtown core.
“Campagnolo, to me, is the perfect neighbourhood restaurant.” – Mia Stainsby, The Vancouver Sun
2009 Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards – Chef of the Year, Robert Belcham
“An ego-free chef who’s making some of the best food this city has seen.” – Vancouver Magazine
2010 Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards – Best New Restaurant, Gold
“Affordably chic, with a slightly hipsterish vibe, a farmers’ market almost on its doorstep, and a neighbourhood pricing philosophy.” – Vancouver Magazine
2010 Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards – Design of the Year, Silver
“Marc Bricault’s skill as a bricoleur (basically, one who uses materials at hand) works a quirky magic while never veering into kitsch.” – Vancouver Magazine