The GOODS from Kale & Nori
Vancouver, BC | Back in January, Kale & Nori’s Chef Jonathan Chovancek and Lauren Mote traveled to the agricultural belt of Mexico to develop cuisine and cocktails using the “Aguardientes” and “Licors” of the Onilikan Distillery. These European-style spirits will take centre-stage for two special cocktail events at Legacy Liquor Store’s beautiful long table: May 8 with bartender Marc Smolinski (Max’s Burger’s, A Drinker’s Peace) and May 27 with Lauren Mote (Kale & Nori, Bittered Sling). Enjoy these unique opportunity to taste the spirits, cocktails and cuisine created with Onilikan’s spirited line up. Tickets for May 8 here and May 27 there. Details and menu after the jump…
Fresh Pacific oyster with rhubarb, grilled serrano and cucumber
Spanish duck egg tortilla with potatoes and peas
Spot prawns & albacore tuna ceviche, grilled & pickled ramp salsa verde, pumpkin seed croutons
Onillikan braised pork shoulder, mulato chile-black garlic mole, Cotija cheese & ground corn soufflé
Bittered Sling Moondog bitters spiced chocolate beet cake, rhubarb confit
– Passed Hors d’Oeuvres paired with opening reception cocktail by Lauren Mote
– Sit-down three course dinner, menu presented by Chef Jonathan Chovancek of Kale & Nori to both engage and challenge the guest bartender’s perspective on their cocktail pairings
– Each guest receives a scorecard, and rates each pairing through several categories, such as taste, balance, appearance, level of pairing;
– Interactive presentation style – fun and business-casual
– $60/tickets (this is inclusive of GST and service charge) – tickets will not be available to purchase at the door, guests must purchase tickets online or in person at Legacy Liquor Store ahead of time.
This season will boast several new bartenders and brands, so perhaps you can expect to see your favourites!
The People Who Make It Happen
Owners: Chef Jonathan Chovancek & Lauren Mote
About Kale & Nori
Founded in 2011, Kale & Nori Culinary Arts is a boutique, restaurant-style caterer specializing in healthy, ethical and seasonal cuisine paired with avant-guarde mixology.
Kale & Nori Culinary Arts celebrates the collaboration of highly decorated industry professionals, Chef Jonathan Chovancek and Mixologist/Sommelier Lauren Mote. Our Vancouver based company is dedicated to producing elegant, fun and delicious events, while implementing positive social change through healthy and ethically sourced food and beverage ingredients.
Kale & Nori Culinary Arts creates menus focused on seasonal vegetables and ethical seafoods sourced from Canadian artisans, fishermen and farms with bold global flavours. From glamourous cocktail parties, beautiful wedding receptions and multi-course plated dinners, to interactive client “hands-on” classes and events, each menu and event with Kale & Nori is completely custom. We exist to fulfill the wants needs and of the client to provide the best possible guest experience.