How Lulu Island Got Its Sweet Name

Ever wondered how Lulu Island (on which the City of Richmond now sits) got its fanciful name? It was named after a showgirl, but not just any showgirl. Miss Lulu Sweet was a young stage actress from the US who, along with the theatrical troupe to which she belonged, performed in Colonial British Columbia in the early 1860s. Lulu Sweet appeared locally on stages in New Westminster and Victoria. Much praised in the press, her demeanour, acting and graceful manners were so admired that even Colonel Richard Moody, Commander of the Royal Engineers stationed in New Westminster, was smitten. It was he who named the largest island in the estuary of the Fraser River after her.

Miss Lulu Sweet, circa 1860s

First, some context. Miss Lulu Sweet was a member of the Potter Troupe, an American Music Hall act from San Francisco. The group “of fifteen Ladies and Gentlemen of acknowledged talent and respectability” first appeared in Victoria on October 8, 1860, at the Colonial Theatre. Miss Lulu Sweet – then about 16 years old – and her mother, Mrs. E. Sweet, were in the cast that performed that evening. They had arrived in Victoria from San Francisco aboard the steamer, Brother Jonathan.

Arrivals in Victoria showing the Potter Troupe and Miss Lulu Sweet | Daily British Colonist, October 8, 1860

Miss Lulu Sweet, something of a child star in San Francisco in the late 1850s, was a theatrical triple threat. In the press she was celebrated as “the beautiful Juvenile Actress, Songstress and Danseuse” who became the darling of the Victoria and the New Westminster theatrical scene (such as it was).

After a three-month theatrical run in Victoria, the Potter Troupe set sail on December 20, 1860, for New Westminster and the Pioneer Theatre. Capt. John T. Walbran, who wrote British Columbia Coast Names, noted that the Potter Troupe was the first of its kind to ever appear in New Westminster.

Notice in Daily British Colonist, January 15, 1861. Lulu Sweet arrives back in Victoria aboard the Otter.

This first series of appearances of Miss Lulu Sweet and the Potter Troupe in New Westminster ended January 11, 1861. According to Chuck Davis, Lulu Sweet became one of the favourite performers of the Royal Engineers, who were stationed in the Lower Mainland and built much of the infrastructure of the young colony on behalf of the British Empire. After their successful engagement in New Westminster, the troupe (including Miss Lulu Sweet) then traveled back to Victoria on January 12, 1861, aboard the steamer Otter. It was on this voyage that Lulu had the island named after her.

Colonel Richard Moody of the Royal Engineers.

The story goes that Colonel Moody accompanied Miss Lulu Sweet on deck as the Otter traveled the Fraser River on its way to Victoria. While he was pointing out various landmarks to her, they passed by a large island. Miss Sweet asked him what it was called. The Colonel replied that it had no name, “but in tribute to you we shall call it Lulu Island”. It has also been suggested that Moody exclaimed: “By Jove! I’ll name it after you”. Whether “by Jove” or “in tribute”, several accounts corroborate that Lulu Island was indeed named in honour of Miss Lulu Sweet, and by 1862 it became official when the name appeared on the next British Admiralty chart of the area.

Map of Lulu Island (Richmond) – Detail (COV Archives – Map 879)

There are 0 comments

Where Icons & Giants Once Took the Stage in Vancouver’s West End

The Georgia Auditorium might be long gone, but the old concert hall will forever be a big part of our entertainment history.

Vancouver’s First Film and its Connection to the Titanic

110 years ago William Harbeck attached a 35mm film camera to the front of a Vancouver streetcar, Go-Pro style...

You Should Know About The First Time Vancouver’s Electric Lights Came On

A year after the Great Fire destroyed much of Vancouver in 1886, its recovering streets were lit with the newness of electricity.

You Should Know More About the Fascinating History of Lower Mount Pleasant

Lower Mount Pleasant was one of the first areas outside of Vancouver's downtown to be developed for residential use. First came houses, then came war. See what remains to this day...