Owen Lightly | 1982 – 2014

owen1

by Andrew Morrison | Local chef/writer and all around excellent man Owen Lightly passed away last night at Vancouver General Hospital after a year-long fight with cancer. It was two days before his 32nd birthday. I’ve only just been told, so my head is reeling. I know that while it was a privilege to publish his words, it was a bigger joy to have been his friend and a real thrill to watch him flourish. Owen was one the most genuine people I’ve ever come across in my life – a real West Coast boy with a very appropriate surname. Tonight, my family will be raising glasses and celebrating the life he lived. I trust that you and yours – in the kitchen, behind the bar, on the floor, or at home – will take a moment to do the same. Cheers, to Owen.

6 Responses to “Owen Lightly | 1982 – 2014”

1. Stanley Zappa on May 30th, 2014 2:45 pm

Jaya Owen Lightly

2. David Foot on May 30th, 2014 3:32 pm

Wow so such sad news! Owen worked with me at the Shangri-La for a period and he was one of the brightest, most calm and really good cooks I’ve ever had the pleasure to collaborate with. You will be missed!

3. Amorita Adair on May 30th, 2014 6:25 pm

I’ll miss you Owen. Thanks for giving me my writing start with BOTE.

4. ambel on May 31st, 2014 11:38 am

I didn’t know him other than from his blog where his love of food and life really shone through. So so so sad.

5. GH on May 31st, 2014 6:56 pm

Andrew et al, thanks for sharing this man’s vision on Scout.

Such a bright a young thing; this saddens me.

Rest in Peace, Sir, and may your family carry your spirit forward.

6. R&B Chef Series Beer « SmokySweet on June 8th, 2014 12:22 pm

[…] met to sample the first run of each of their beers. Sadly Owen Lightly was too ill to attend and passed away shortly after this launch. He contributed much to the Vancouver food community and anyone who knew […]