by Andrew Morrison | Scout has joined forces with the barkeeps who brought you last year’s Bar-ate Kid competition to put together a gruelling tournament celebrating the best of BC bartending. And don’t sweat the exam. It’s multiple choice. If you know booze well enough, you won’t embarrass yourself. But as the poster above notes, only the 16 best scores will advance to the final, which will be a raucous affair to remember. To give you an idea as to what to expect, take a look at what went down at the Bar-ate Kid last year (spoiler: Josh Pape of The Diamond kicked ass). It’s the same venue, and I would imagine some of the same bartenders will make it to the final, so overall it will be a similar afternoon, only with the occasional blindfold, badger, and whip.

So sign up fast and spread the word, BC barkeeps, ’cause it’s time to put up your dukes. You have until midnight on June 3rd to register!

UPDATE: edited to keep my sometimes embarrassing inability to communicate properly to a minimum.

—————————————————————————————————–

19 Responses to “Tough Tournament Set To Decide The 2012 “Bartender Of The Year” At The Keefer Bar”

1. anonymous on May 23rd, 2012 10:19 am

rad pics of Jess Nichol.
    RIP old friend.

2. Dani Tatarin on May 23rd, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks for organizing this boys… So glad that you all love my bar and I am more than happy to defend my newly crowned title of Bartender of the Year awarded to me by my peers and all of the fine folks at Van Mag. I didn’t realize that it was a popularity contest… I think that I accomplished quite a bit in the last year so Bring it ON! I am always up for a good ol’ competition!

XOXO
    Dani

3. Scout Magazine on May 23rd, 2012 12:06 pm

Bad use of language on my part, and my part alone (David and Keenan had no hand in the copy). I’ve edited the line out, and I sincerely apologise for its original inclusion. The reference wasn’t to your individual achievements or to the Van Mag award (which has always had a better format than most), so please be assured that this is not about defending your title, but rather about having some fun. The larger point that I was trying to make was that this particular award is earned on the day, by right of annihilation and conquest. Again, I’m sorry that that point was muddled by my inability to communicate it properly.

PS. I hope you kick some ass. ;-)

4. anonymus on May 23rd, 2012 1:11 pm

I suppose ‘bad use of language’ can be be forgiven even when writing is your supposed everyday profession. It’s like one of the Bartenders pictured above screwing up a margarita- oh wait, that would never happen with these true professionals! If the comp is truly ‘by bartenders for bartenders’ can we trust that the judging panel will consist of Bartending professionals who are trained to evaluate and taste expertly? As long as there are no flaky celebrity / media judges, count me in!

PS. great save by using ‘muddled’ in closing the piece- such clever use of language!

5. Scout Magazine on May 23rd, 2012 1:15 pm

Yes, the judges are professionals who are held in high regard (except for me, but I drink a lot).

6. anonymus on May 23rd, 2012 1:37 pm

commonly held misconception: if you visit a lot of bars and drink lot’s of cocktails (and blog about) it makes you an expert on both. ultimately, you don’t know sh_t unless you’ve stood tall behind the bar and earned the patronage of many guests and respect from your fellow Bartenders. frankly, you don’t qualify to judge a comp of this quality. this is true even before considering your own biases so evident in the very lines you just retracted from your own site.

7. Scout Magazine on May 23rd, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks John. I see now that I was the “celebrity flake media” that you were referring to. I’m embarrassed to know that I’ve projected such a limited impression of myself to you. For what it’s worth (presumably not much), I did work in the restaurant business (including not a few bartending shifts) for quite a long time (20 years), and I’ve judged many food and cocktail competitions over the years, including last year’s Bar-ate Kid. I think my palate is pretty fair, actually, but of course it’s open to your criticisms. As for my own biases, I don’t think I have many when it comes to drinking/bartenders. In any case, you’ll be happy to learn that the judging in this tournament is blind.

8. anonymus on May 23rd, 2012 2:02 pm

pun not intended? (blind judging)

9. Scout Magazine on May 23rd, 2012 2:17 pm

Nope. See you at the comp.

10. Mayfair on May 23rd, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymus. Your pretentious elitism is the worst thing that has happened to bartending since the movie Cocktail. Do you wear a vest and a Mad Men hat too? Just be a damn bartender, for Christs sake!

11. Coop on May 23rd, 2012 5:11 pm

You come off like a twerp, Anonymus. A-Mo is legit. $20 on Layton. Odds? Takers?

12. PG on May 24th, 2012 11:33 am

Pape is a beast – my money is on the baby faced assasin with a spoon…

13. SL on May 24th, 2012 4:46 pm

I hedged my entry fee last year only getting to the semi’s I put $20 on Pape #nobrainer though I was secretly suffering from Jerry Thomas elbow last year…this year I’m 100% look out

14. Daniel Larruso on May 28th, 2012 2:10 pm

Look out competitors.. We have Gez mcalpine joining the tournament. We also have Steve Da Cruz, H, JS Dupuis and Brendan Brewtser from Victoria. Anyone else that wants in send me, David Greg or Andrew Morrison an email. keenanhood@thekeeferbar.com

15. Scout Magazine on May 28th, 2012 2:31 pm

Add to that number former Van Mag BOTY Josh Pape and Shaun Layton. Boneta repped as well.

16. thelastlegitamateBTOY on May 28th, 2012 9:37 pm

fuck it, I’m in!!!! jerry Thomas elbow my ass…..

17. SL on May 29th, 2012 4:06 pm

Look out kids Ive been practicing http://devour.com/video/impressive-bartending-skills/ do we actually have to make drinks too? Wait till you see the “helicopter”

18. Matt R. on June 17th, 2012 2:47 pm

I hear that my boy Brooke won the contest in Victoria? Do I hear that right?

19. Scout Magazine on June 17th, 2012 3:00 pm

We will be releasing the results tomorrow (Monday)