Vancouver Food Blogs: What’s Out There That’s Worth A Read?

I’m teaching a class on Food Writing and Modern Media at the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts this Fall (details forthcoming) and I’d like to know what new(ish) local food and drink sites I should be referencing when it comes time to talk about the local blogosphere. I have my own favourites – City Food, Tiny Bites, Cherries & Clay, Foodists, Butter On The Endive – but the number has mushroomed over the last couple of years and I could use some guidance from readership. If you know of any good ones worth checking out (or own one yourself), please share the url in the comments below. Much obliged.

30 Responses to “Vancouver Food Blogs: What’s Out There That’s Worth A Read?”

1. Anti-Foodie on August 20th, 2010 11:29 am

You just opened Pandora’s Box, dipshit.

2. Lima on August 20th, 2010 11:33 am

I recommend Follow Me Foodie http://www.followmefoodie.com/ – I recently did an interview with her for my own blog (feel free to check it out if you want to know more about her). She covers Vancouver, the lower mainland and does some features from places she has traveled.

Cheers!

3. jesse on August 20th, 2010 11:34 am

Eatapeachforhours.com

4. Pamela on August 20th, 2010 11:34 am

I generally don’t read them, but if you could combine the good writing on VancouverSlop.com with the great photos on TinyBites.ca, that’d be something I’d check out frequently.

5. James on August 20th, 2010 11:38 am

@antifoodie

Trolls.
    Can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without them
    causing sh*t when ever they pop up from their underground lair of negativity to get some attention.
    I gave you some, tah tah!

6. Art on August 20th, 2010 11:43 am
  7. Art on August 20th, 2010 11:44 am

Sherman’s Food Adventures

He updates daily and covers the Lower Mainland.

8. Mark on August 20th, 2010 11:46 am

I can’t keep up with all the new ones. Most of them are crap anyway.

9. Bev on August 20th, 2010 11:49 am

Just Scout, thank you. :-)

10. Rob on August 20th, 2010 11:55 am

Personally, I like foodbloggersaretotalgeekswhonevergetlaid.com.

11. Anti-Anti-Foodie on August 20th, 2010 12:07 pm

Favorites for foodie stuff are I’m Only Here For The Food, Chow Times, Food And Tell, Butter On The Endive, and Noshwell.

12. Scout Magazine on August 20th, 2010 12:09 pm

Aw…very kind, Bev!

13. Anti-Foodie on August 20th, 2010 12:21 pm

James, who’s the troll here, really? “Check out my food blog, everybody! I write about shitty Vancouver street food!”

14. John Paul on August 20th, 2010 12:21 pm

I can’t help you, Andrew. The only other “foodie” site I visit is Chowhound and sometimes Dine Here, but they aren’t blogs per se.

15. Knightafter on August 20th, 2010 12:30 pm

Most are just shills not worth reading

16. Rhianna (Cream) on August 20th, 2010 12:44 pm

Shameless self-promotion: creamandsugar.ca

But… so excited to hear about this course! Please update tout de suite when registration can begin. :-)

17. Scout Magazine on August 20th, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi Rhianna, registration should open in the next week or so. If I’m not mistaken, there will be five 3 hour classes starting Monday, Sept. 27th. I’ll post the details as soon as they’re locked up.

18. Rhianna (Cream) on August 20th, 2010 1:06 pm

Great! Thank you for the reply.
    (Evenings I’m hoping?)

19. Scout Magazine on August 20th, 2010 1:18 pm

Yup. We’re looking at Monday Sept 27th from 6-9pm as the start date with the following four Mondays (skipping Thanksgiving). I’ll post the details as soon as they’re locked.

20. pro-foodie on August 20th, 2010 2:49 pm

Chow Time for sure. They have a large following and they blog on Asian eats most of the time.

21. James on August 20th, 2010 3:54 pm

@anti-foodie

I’ve said my piece and you’ve confirmed it.

Thanks, an take care,
    James

22. Caitlin on August 21st, 2010 10:17 am

They may be part of the Province but I always enjoy janeats and ginger snaps. Some decent writing to come out of Canwest or whatever the hell it is now.

23. pablopicante on August 21st, 2010 3:41 pm

@ anti-anti-foodie

“I’m Only Here For The Food” is precious little than a group socially inept tools descending upon unsuspecting restaurants in groups of 8 or so wielding an inordinate amount of camera equipment.
    if you click their “review” of the Vancouver Alpen Club and scroll down to the last pic you’ll see what i mean…

find in the comments section where they site “indifferent service” and then look back at that pic and have yourself a good long belly-laugh.

24. Scout Magazine on August 21st, 2010 4:18 pm

^ Giggle. Tools or not, that’s certainly a winner of a juxtaposed photo. It fairly explains the whole “indifferent service” comment. :-)

25. Calvin on August 25th, 2010 8:39 am

Alex Tung, executive chef at Tapenade Bistro in Richmond certainly does a great blog @ chefsnightout.wordpress.com.

26. Hilary Henegar on August 25th, 2010 2:29 pm

Scout is probably the best at what it does, but we have a new-ish food blog on Granville Online that might be of interest. Michael Robertson blogs about a mix of local food resources, resto reviews, events, food politics and considerations for sustainable food systems. Check it out!

Sustenance – Taking pleasure in real food

He’s also on Twitter: @reasonableguy

-Hilary

27. Tami on August 29th, 2010 10:52 pm

Is it shameless to plug my own little Vancouver blog? Although not really a specifically Vancouver blog, I live here and blog here, so there ya go!

28. Tami on August 29th, 2010 10:53 pm

Oops, pressed the enter key instead… it’s http://www.lemontart.ca. really sorry to miss your class. I’ll be eating my way through San Francisco when it runs. Hope you’ll do it again.!

29. neil on August 31st, 2010 11:39 am

eatapeachforhours.com

30. David J Cooper on September 1st, 2010 10:55 am

Blogs??

What ever happened to forums?

One where Vancouver wine and food obsessed people get together is winefanatic.ca.

I like this blog, as well as stylehunting.com which is a Vancouver style blog. Butter on the Endive and one I can’t find anymore written by a Hollywood /Vancouver type with tons of cash and some little doggies.